Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Late Morning!

It seems like every time we get a week going, there is another weather system moving in.  I do love my fair weather state- we are lucky to have 4 beautiful changing seasons- but I wouldn't mind a mild end to the Winter Season!

So with a few extra hours this morning, I was able to make muffins- but not just any muffins, Carrot Cake Muffins!

After yesterday's cleaning extravaganza, I headed to the gym for a much needed sweat session! I was cruising along on the treadmill- running intervals of 30-40 second sprints, with 1 minute recoveries (OUCH!!)- and somewhere 20 minutes into my work out I was salavating thinking about a carrot cake breakfast muffin.

With a little extra time on my hands this morning, I decided to google my craving and see what I could come up with for breakfast.  There were plenty of cupcake recipes, and I do love a cupcake- just not for breakfast.  I came across this muffin recipe on Food.com. I made small changes to the recipe, and they were just right!  Steve couldn't get over how moist they are- my healthy whole wheat baking tends to be dry compared to the real stuff ;-)

Carrot Cake Muffins- adapted from Food.com
1 1/2 cups white wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2cup brown sugar
1 egg 
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 (8 ounce) can drained pineapple
3 carrots shredded
1/2 cup chopped Walnuts
3 Tbsp unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350- line a muffin pan or spray with nonstick spray.  Toast walnuts for 5 minutes.

Mix ingredients flour through brown sugar in a mixer or bowl.  In a separate bowl beat egg, milk, vanilla, and coconut oil together.  Mix pineapple bits, and carrots into the liquids.  Combine the liquids with dry ingredients, and mix until everything is moist.  Fold in walnuts. Spoon muffin mixture equally into muffin pan, and top lightly with coconut flakes. Bake for 20-23 minutes. When finished baking, pull out and let cool!

What is your favorite thing to make for breakfast, when you are surprised with a couple extra hours?!

No comments:

Post a Comment