Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chili!

When googling the recovery time for hubby's ankle, I came upon a website that said the Universe would allow it to heal based on previous life experiences. Long story short, bad hubby= longer recovery, good hubby= quick recovery. Simple enough!  While I think it was the MOST absurd information, I couldn't help but giggle when I felt as if the Universe was laughing HARD at me today-I guess since I'm not healing from surgery,  I needed something to remind me where I stand.
Today was BANANAS. I couldn't begin to describe the events leading up to it being "THAT"  day.  When I got home, luckily dinner was working it's magic, on the counter. I set everything up so that I could jump over to the gym tonight- I was draggin'...er draggin' my feet... but reluctantly put on gym clothes. I made the proclamation 3 maybe 4 times that I was leaving... this after a puppy snuggle fest in the bed, an invitation to Steve to come gaze at the moon with me on the front porch, and a sweet Banana Sunflower seed butter snack-  I HAD to go!!!  Armed with H2O, Steve's mp3 player, and enough pent up energy from the day's events, I headed to the gym. I did a quick, intense cardio session on the elliptical and nice long stretch.  It wasn't the heavy hitting time I had hoped for, but I will never regret getting a work out in!

When I made it home, Steve and I chowed down on the Stew!  It was the perfect ending the the perfectly crazy day!

Oh yeah, and Universe if you're reading this.... try harder ;)



Beef and Black Bean Chili Soup
1/2 lb cubed stew beef
1/2 diced white onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 diced roasted red pepper
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 shredded onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 diced fresh jalapenos- or slices from the jar, if you don't have fresh
1/2 can  tomato soup
4 cups beef broth
2 cups dried black beans
2 Tbsp cumin- I love cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder- I like A LOT
1 Tbsp dried onion
1 Tbsp garlic powder
Cayenne and salt to taste

Start a day early, allow the dried beans to soak overnight, and while your at it get to choppin'!!
Put everything in a slow cooker, and allow to cook on low for 8-10 hours!

We served it with Blue Corn Tortillas, and shredded pepper jack cheese.  Greek yogurt would have been perfect on top too!

No comments:

Post a Comment