Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Vacation, all I ever wanted..."

For the past 4 1/2 days I have been on vacation- mentally! I LOVE my job, yet there is something about a holiday that helps wash away stress that builds up in the daily routine. We- see my better half here , went on not 1, but 2 trail runs, cooked amazing meals, and shared in some excellent down time... all in all this Fall break has me pumped for the 3 working weeks until Christmas Break... I digress....
Let me rewind this little recap to last night's dinner. We are lucky, very lucky, to have family that will share one of the fruits of the Bay... the Chesapeake Bay...Rockfish!


We grilled up some PRETTY filets, laid it over Quinoa, and made a 'cream' sauce to go on top... by cream I mean fat free milk sauce. Thinner than a cream sauce, but worth it to me!

For the cream sauce I kind of went my own direction.... with no direction...



Serve over Rockfish and Enjoy!




1 Tbsp flour mixed into 1 cup skim milk

make the slurry and put over medium heat- add 1/2 cup white wine

bring to a boil and simmer for roughly 10 minutes- add Crayfish bodies (minus the tails which have been peeled and reserved for later)

Add a dash of Old Bay to sauce

Allow to thicken, strain out Crayfish, careful not to leave any parts... that wouldn't be fun to find!

Add a pinch of Parmesan cheese, crayfish tails and fresh shrimp

This was a figure it out as you go along kind of dinner! It ended up turning out very tasty, and hopefully we will get some more Rockfish Handouts, so we can dish it up again.

So this morning we woke up exhilarated and ready to tackle another run- sans any issues getting out of the driveway. It was too easy to get moving, we figured something was forgotten- but unlike yesterday's pre-run shenanigans today was just easy. We put in 4.3 miles on the trails, the rock and root laden down hills are hell on knees and ankles, so a slower pace was needed to forgo any mishaps... that and I'm still trying to regain my running strength and stamina- lazy bones!
  
Someone is ready for bed!




Dinner was created using.... leftover Turkey... is anyone else over turkey?
I like changing my dinners up, often using different flavors and cultural inspirations, so having SO much turkey to use can get a bit old.... well challenging.

In comes Turkey and White Bean Chili.

It was truly simple to make 1 can of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained, sauteed onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, carrots (strange yes but it worked), turkey, and canned tomatoes with green chilis.  

Topped with a tiny bit of cheese, and healthy scoop of Greek Yogurt- this bowl satisfied  the post run hunger that creeped up on us!  Now it's off to read the new Fitness magazine, and crash out before getting back into the grind! 



No comments:

Post a Comment