Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Baby it's cold...

The temps in Virginia have dropped to the single digits and teens- perfect for puppy walks in the morning, I think not!  With the chilly weather, soup makes it way into our lives more frequently. This is fine by me- I love soup. I used to daydream of opening a little cafe naming it soup, and serving up different daily specials in a bowl... **sigh**
With a snow day, I had extra time to tackle some errands yesterday- some cleaning, shopping, and baking! I wanted an easy dinner that would warm up the hubs- who's job has had him outside, everyday for the past 8 days...
Enter Potato Soup- with extras!
3 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled
5 diced potatoes
1/2 head of cauliflower- chopped coarsely                
4 smashed cloves of garlic
1 chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1 chopped leek
1/4 white wine
1 box organic Chicken broth
1 cup milk- skim
water-added to thin to liking
salt and pepper
Cheddar cheese for garnish
Fresh Rosemary for garnish

I cooked the bacon and then threw it in with everything else- minus garnishes- to the crock pot and came home to a a phenomenal smell after about 2 hours on high.  Everything was still very chunky- and I prefer a creamy potato soup.  Carefully I added small batches to the blender and whirled it until smooth.  I left 1/4 of the soup in diced form, blended the rest, and mixed them together!

























It was perfect for warming up after a snowy, blustery day!

No comments:

Post a Comment