Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cruel, cruel summer...

Only cruel because it's almost over.

The summer is quickly winding down... and I mean QUICKLY! We have headed back to work this week to participate in workshops and meetings, and my the real world has hit me head on...
I've had to tweak my methods, but will hopefully maintain my 'OM' state of mind- acquired this summer by kickin' workouts, kitchen creations, and ME time!

Workouts happen first- out the door between 5 and 5:30! WOOOOOOO EARLY BIRD!!!! If I don't do it early, typically I don't do it- at least I'm honest with myself! Double duty- working out keeps me happy and gives me my time to myself... or with my hubs...

Food is still fun (I don't start cooking at 4PM anymore though-insert mega sad face). More extravagant meals are saved for the weekend...but that doesn't mean no healthy eats during the week. Did you see what hubs happened to make last night?! Super light and flavorful!

Lunches are put together the night before... so long midday grazing! This may be a good thing... but I will surely miss it! To help with back to school lunches I threw together a batch of black bean burger with chipotle peppers, and have them waiting in the freezer for an easy lunch option. I actually made these during my mood boosting cook-a-thon Friday night- however they sure are coming in handy now that it's that time...



Black Bean Burgers:
2 cups black beans
2 chipotle peppers in adobo-diced
1/3 cup cooked brown rice
2/3 cup cooked Bulgar wheat
splashes of olive oil
2 Tbsp garlic powder
dashes of worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp wheat flour
1 egg white
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
salt and pepper


I put 1 1/2 cups of black beans in the mixer with all of the other listed ingredient. I like the beans to be mashed up. Mix in the 1/2 cup of whole beans. Form burgers. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 ish minutes. Let cool, and CAREFULLY because they are a bit soft- put in baggies to freeze.



Ingredients are roughly measured. The burgers should have a sticky-slightly wet- feel to them. Ingredients can also be tweaked- I get SUPER creative based on what's in the pantry! Mushrooms make a great addition/ substitution!



With that it's time to makes tomorrow's lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment